Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hockey Works Overtime for Third Straight Win

Hockey Works Overtime for Third Straight Win

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. – Sophomore Kevin Crowe (Galloway, N.J.) recorded his first career hat trick and senior Shaun Jameson (Long Beach, Calif.) netted the game-winning goal with 2:56 left in overtime as the Wentworth hockey team won its third game in a row with a 4-3 win over Salve Regina in an ECAC Northeast contest. With the win the Leopards improve to 10-7-1 overall and 6-2 in ECAC Northeast play.

Salve Regina (6-11-1, 3-5 ECAC NE) opened up the scoring early in the first period when sophomore John Scorcia (Hudson, Fla.) came out on the ice on his first line change. Scorcia got help from freshman Peter Gintoli (Monroe, Conn.) and freshman Alec Butler (Marlborough, Mass.) and scored his fifth goal of the season just 1:15 into the opening period.

The Seahawks held the 1-0 lead throughout the opening period by killing four power play chances for the Leopards.

Salve Regina added to its lead 3:37 into the second period. After an initial shot from freshman Cameron Gaudet (Burlington, Mass.) was stopped by Wentworth freshman Joel Miller (Calgary, Alta.), junior David Watkins (Natick, Mass.) took a pass from Gaudet and sophomore Michael Naso (Londonberry, N.H.) to score his third goal of the year.

Crowe cut the Seahawk lead in half with his first goal of the game. Senior goalie Mike McDonald (Whitby, Ontario) stopped a shot from junior Patrick Rice (West Des Moines, Iowa) before Crowe shot it passed McDonald off a pass from sophomore Curtis Heinz (Grand Rapids, Mich.) and Jameson at 9:31.

Just 1:40 later, Crowe got the equalizer to cap the scoring in the second period. After his shot was blocked, Crowe took a pass from freshman Mike Cox (Marlborough, Mass.) to even the score at 2-2.

While the Leopards were shorthanded 2:47 into the third, Crowe gave Wentworth its first lead of the game to cap off his hat trick. Jameson and Heinz each added their second assists of the day on Crowe's third goal.

The Seahawks had a 5-on-3 advantage on the late in the game and freshman Marc Biggs (Plano, Texas) made the most of it when scored his team-leading 11th goal of the season off an assist from freshman Lucas Sousa (Billerica, Mass.) and Scorcia, tying the game at 3-all and sending it into overtime.

Wentworth called a timeout with 3:33 left in the overtime period before Jameson netted the game-winner with just 2:56 showing on the clock. Jameson's goal was assisted by Crowe and senior Reed Rushing (Seattle, Wash.).

McDonald stopped 30 shots in net for the Seahawks while Miller made 25 stops between the pipes for the Leopards.

Wentworth hosts Williams Monday night at 6:45 p.m., while Salve Regina returns to action when the Seahawks travel to Johnson & Wales on January 30th for a 6:45 p.m. start.

(Portions of this recap courtesy of Salve Regina Sports Information)