BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth women's volleyball team extended its win streak to eight matches with a 3-0 (25-18, 25-20, 25-12) Commonwealth Coast Conference victory over UNE on Tuesday afternoon inside Tansey Gymnasium.
The Leopards roll on to 14-4 overall and 3-1 in conference while serving UNE its first league loss. The Nor'easters drop to 12-2 this season and 3-1 in the CCC.
- Kills – Leah Rogoz (9), Caroline Rupp (9), Riley Waggoner (6), Samantha Lassiter (6)
- Digs – Leah Rogoz (16), Lexie Cambray (10)
- Assists – Chaise Kakuk (22), Ashley Lavigne (12)
- Blocks – Riley Waggoner (6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening two sets were tight from the start, as Wentworth crawled out of a 9-6 hole with a 5-0 run with freshman Chaise Kakuk (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) on the serve. Once sophomore Jade Iadarola (Miami, Fla.) broke a 9-9 tie in the midst of the spurt, Wentworth never looked back and built its largest lead on the heels of a 6-2 run, closing on a kill from Caroline Rupp (Sayville, N.Y.).
- UNE struggled offensively in the middle set, hitting -.067 while the Leopards hit .324. Wentworth jumped to a 6-2 lead with two points from Rupp, but UNE chipped away at the score and pulled within two, 10-8 after a WIT miscue. A 7-2 charge from the home team put the set out of reach for UNE, as errors plagued the Nor'easters heading into the final frame.
- Wentworth led from start to finish to conclude the conference match, hitting .542 as a team. Kakuk served six straight points to start things off, five of which came from UNE errors. The Leopards later went on another 6-0 charge led by two aces from senior Lexie Cambray (Bedford, N.H.) to built an untouchable 19-9 advantage. The Black & Gold used combined kills from freshman Riley Waggoner (Simi Valley, Calif.), Rogoz, and Rupp to seal the 3-0 match lead.
- Rogoz committed zero errors on 12 swings with nine kills to hit .750 in the victory.
- Rupp posted career-high numbers on offense.
- Wentworth has won the past five conference meetings with UNE.
- Leopards win eighth game in straight sets.
- Wentworth returns home to Tansey gymnasium on Thursday for a non-conference match against Rhode Island College at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.