BOSTON, Mass. – In a rematch of the 2018 Commonwealth Coast Conference championship, Roger Williams outlasted Wentworth 3-2 by set scores of 25-21, 25-22, 9-25, 23-25 and 15-10 on Wednesday evening inside Tansey Gymnasium.
STAT LEADERS – Wentworth
- Kills – Leah Rogoz (19), Claire Quick (18), Mary Zlotosch (13)
- Digs – Claire Quick (22), Lexie Cambray (21), Leah Rogoz (19), Jordan Chapman (17), Mary Zlotosch (11)
- Assists – Jordan Chapman (47)
- Blocks – Riley Waggoner (4 BA), Mary Zlotosch (3 BA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Roger Williams held a 2-0 match lead before Wentworth blew the Hawks out of the water in the third set, hitting .310 as a team. The Leopards doubled up on the Hawks early as Mary Zlotosch (Durham, N.H.) served five straight points, using four points from Leah Rogoz (Woodridge, Ill.) and Samantha Lassiter (Rogers, Ark.) for a 10-5 lead. The Black & Gold used a 10-3 run for a 20-8 lead and put the set out of reach scoring the final five of six points.
- Trailing by as many as seven points in the fourth set, the Leopards completed a resilient comeback to force a fifth and deciding set. Wentworth shrunk the gap to three late in the set, 20-17, after a kill from senior Claire Quick (Mission Viejo, Calif.), who ignited a 6-1 run to give Wentworth its first lead, 22-21. Both teams went point-for-point until a block from Zlotosch and freshman Riley Waggoner (Simi Valley, Calif.) gave Wentworth match-point, which Zlotosch put away with a final swing.
- The Hawks came out flying in the fifth and left little room for error, jumping out to a 7-1 advantage. A 3-0 spurt pulled Wentworth within three after back-to-back kills from Rogoz, but the Hawks held on for the 15-10 set win and 3-2 match victory.
- Chapman set a school record and career-high of 47 assists in five sets.
- Rogoz, Quick, Zlotosch, and Chapman each book a double-double.
- The Leopards moved up one spot to #11 in the latest NEWVA Regional Poll.
The Leopards step out of conference on Saturday for a 10:30 a.m. match at Emmanuel College.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.