BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth women's soccer team saw its season come to a heart-wrenching close on Saturday morning, as Roger Williams moves on to the CCC Semifinals after a 3-2 overtime win at Bayside Field.
The Leopards shut the doors at 6-12-2 overall, while the Hawks live to see another day and improve to 13-7-1.
- Jess Poratti – Wentworth 10'
- Jess Poratti (Alexandria Rodriguez) – Wentworth 29'
- Bianca Robbins – Roger Williams 39'
- Leah Yucius (A. Delli carpini) – Roger Williams 74'
- Morgan Snow (A. Delli carpini) – Roger Williams 93'
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Poratti stunned the host Hawks in the 10th minute, after taking a corner kick for the Leopards in their offensive zone. The Leopards continued to pester the Hawk defense, while a save from Allison Haynes (Shelton, Conn.) kept the Hawks at bay, before Poratti struck again in the 29th minute, this time on a feed from Alexandria Rodriguez (San Diego, Calif.)
- Wentworth held on to the 2-0 lead until the 39th minute when Bianca Robbins got the Hawks on the board, 2-1, which stayed until the halftime buzzer.
- Roger Williams outshot the visitors 16-4 in the second half, eight of which were stopped by Haynes. Leah Yucius tied the match up 2-2 in the 74th minute, which sent both teams into overtime.
- Roger Williams didn't take long to put the match away, scoring in the 93rd minute from the outside corner of the six-yard-box.
- Haynes shuts the doors on her most successful season in net for Wentworth, making 10 saves in the effort.
- Morgan McCutcheon and Morgan Strassburg split time in net with Strassburg earning the victory in second-half action with three saves.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.