DUDLEY, Mass. – Sophomore Ryan Mangan (Braintree, Mass.) scored with 3:19 remaining in regulation to snap a 1-all tie and lift the Nichols College men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Wednesday afternoon.
SCORING: WIT – Griffin Price (Erik Treble, Alex Moore), 7:22; NC – James Chasco-Dimauro (unassisted), Rocky Hill, Conn.), 62:37; Ryan Mangan (Riley Donovan), 86:41
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 18 (8); NC, 10 (5)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 4; NC, 1
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 3; NC – Juan Carlos De La Cruz, 7
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth struck first, taking a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute of play. Sophomore Alex Moore (Salem, Conn.) carried the ball along the left side and sent a pass to classmate Erik Treble (Massapequa Park, N.Y.). Treble slipped a pass to senior Griffin Price (Allendale, N.J.) who tallied his third marker of the season.
- Price's goal was the lone tally of the first half, however, the Leopards had plenty of chances, outshooting Nichols by a 12-3 margin in the first 45:00.
- The Bison nearly tied the game in the 62nd minute of play, however, junior Ali Ali's (West Springfield, Mass.) shot hit the crossbar and went out of play.
- Just over a minute later the hosts got the equalizer when he took a free kick from 25 yards out. The shot was initially saved by sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.) but deflected behind him.
- Mangan broke the tie when freshman Riley Donovan (Rocky Hill, Conn.) gained possession behind midfield and sent a ball towards Mangan who broke through the defense and narrowly beat West with a shot inside the left post.
- West finished with three saves while senior Juan Carlos De La Cruz (Stamford, Conn.) had seven stops for Nichols.
- Wentworth had an 18-10 shot advantage and a 4-1 edge on corner kicks.
- The loss snaps a three-game winning streak for the Black & Gold.
- Today's game marked the 36th all-time meeting between the two teams with Nichols winning the last two series meetings. Wentworth still leads the overall series, 22-14. Today marked the sixth straight one-goal game in the series.
- Wentworth (6-6-2, 2-2-0 CCC) is at Endicott on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. Nichols (9-4-2, 2-2-1) is at Roger Williams on Saturday.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.