Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Rallies to Tie Salve Regina

Men's Soccer Rallies to Tie Salve Regina

NEWPORT, R.I. – Senior Stephen Frazier (Bedford, Mass.) scored with 8:53 remaining in regulation to force overtime, and, despite holding a 7-1 shot advantage through the two overtime periods, the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team played to a 1-1 draw at Salve Regina in Commonwealth Coast Conference play Sunday afternoon.

The Leopards sit at 4-6-1 overall and 1-1-1 in league play while the Seahawks are 5-3-2 (0-2-1).

Salve Regina tallied an early goal to take the 1-0 lead as junior Jordan Ester (Sutton, Mass.) sent a pass across the right to senior PJ Criscione (Boxford, Mass.) who fired a shot to the upper right of the net. The Seahawks had a 5-3 shot advantage at the half.

Wentworth, which had an 8-5 shot advantage in the second half, finally converted when senior Emmett Basaca (San Diego, Calif.) sent a ball to Frazier who evened the game at a goal apiece. The Leopards put a pair of shots on net late in the half but both were saved by senior Evan Coose (Easton, Mass.).

The first overtime saw Wentworth have a 2-1 shot advantage with one of the two shots going on frame in the 91st minute. Wentworth peppered the Seahawk defense with five shots in the second overtime with Coose making three saves. Just before the horn sounded, Frazier nearly won it for the Black & Gold when he took a shot after being served a corner kick by Basaca, however the shot was high.

Sophomore Philip Chomicki (Dorchester, Mass.) made five saves for Wentworth while Coose made six stops for Salve Regina. Wentworth had an 18-11 shot advantage and a 6-3 corner kick advantage.

Wentworth hosts WPI on Tuesday night.

For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.