Men's Tennis Sweeps Colby-Sawyer
BOSTON, Mass. – All six members of the Wentworth men's tennis team won their singles and doubles matches as the Leopards won their second straight match, 9-0, over Colby-Sawyer in a The Commonwealth Coast Conference match played at Harvard University's Beren Tennis Center.
Sophomore Juan Rodriguez (Quito, Ecuador) and junior Nate Gove (Scarborough, Maine) began the sweep with an 8-0 win over sophomore Adam Whitman (Newcastle, N.H.) and senior Rob Barnes (Wayland, Mass.) at number one doubles. Freshman Thuan Nguyen (Randolph, Mass.) teamed with sophomore Joel Vastl (North Salem, N.H.) to claim an 8-2 win over sophomore Reeve Fidler (Groton, Mass.) and junior Will Berry (Berlin, Vt.) at number two doubles before sophomores Dave Filar (Wolcott, Conn.) and Tim Nguyen (Windsor, Conn.) edged sophomore Oscar Svensson (Norrkoping, Sweden) and freshman Matt Trombley (Castleton, Vt.) at number three doubles, 9-7.
Vastl gave Wentworth a 4-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-0 win over junior Zac Skyrme (Norwich, Vt.) at number six singles before Tim Nguyen's 6-2, 6-1 win over Svensson at number five singles clinched the match for the Leopards.
Rodriguez upped his dual match record to 10-0 (13-0 overall) with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Whitman at number one singles, while Filar beat Berry, 6-2, 6-2, at number four singles.
Both the number two and number three singles matches went three sets. Thuan Nguyen dropped the first set to Barnes, 3-6, before rallying to win the next two sets, 6-0 and 6-3, respectively. Gove wrapped up the match with a win over Fidler in a match that saw Gove take the first set by a 6-4 score and Fidler evening the match, 7-5, in the second set. The final set was a 10-point tiebreaker, which was won by Gove, 13-11.
With the win the Leopards improve to 4-6 overall and 3-5 in TCCC play. Wentworth hosts Gordon on Saturday (April 16) at Noon. The Chargers fall to 2-8 (2-6) and host Regis, also on Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Colby-Sawyer vs Wentworth
04/15/11 at Boston, Mass.
(Beren Tennis Center)
Wentworth 9, Colby-Sawyer 0
1. Juan Rodriguez (WIT) def. Adam Whitman (CSC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Thuan Nguyen (WIT) def. Rob Barnes (CSC) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Nate Gove (WIT) def. Reeve Fidler (CSC) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (13-11)
4. Dave Filar (WIT) def. Will Berry (CSC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tim Nguyen (WIT) def. Oscar Svensson (CSC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Joel Vastl (WIT) def. Zac Skyrme (CSC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Juan Rodriguez/Nate Gove (WIT) def. Adam Whitman/Rob Barnes (CSC) 8-0
2. Thuan Nguyen/Joel Vastl (WIT) def. Reeve Fidler/Will Berry (CSC) 8-2
3. Dave Filar/Tim Nguyen (WIT) def. Oscar Svensson/Matt Trombley (CSC) 9-7