BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology women's tennis team closed out the 2011 season with a 6-2 win over Mills College in a non-conference match played on the Wentworth Tennis Courts.
The Leopards swept the three doubles matches with junior Lana Ho (Vineyard Haven, Mass.) and freshman Virginia Ofer (Cooperstown, N.Y.) teaming at number three for an 8-4 win. Sophomore Deborah Massaro (Stony Point, N.Y.) and junior Jillian Flynn (Billerica, Mass.) won at number two, 8-6, before senior Joanna Gustafson (Ashburnham, Mass.) and junior Sophie Boyce (South Portland, Maine) took a 9-8 (7-3) win at number one to complete the sweep.
Mills won at number two singles before Massaro made it a 4-1 match with a win at number three singles. After Mills cut the gap to 4-2 with a number one singles win, Ho clinched the match with a win at number five before Ofer made it 6-2 in favor of the Black & Gold with a three-set win at number six. Flynn's match at number four was called due to rain.
With the win the Leopards snap a six-match losing streak to finish 4-7. Mills falls to 1-1 on the fall portion of its schedule and completes its New England swing tomorrow at Johnson & Wales.
Wentworth 6, Mills 2
1. Jamie Quinn Harris (MILLS) def. Joanna Gustafson (WIT) 1-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Sarah Knight (MILLS) def. Olivia Hegner (WIT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Deborah Massaro (WIT) def. Alice Hewitt (MILLS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jillian Flynn (WIT) vs. Rachel Quimby (MILLS) unfinished
5. Lana Ho (WIT) def. Casey Honath (MILLS) 6-4, 6-1
6. Virginia Ofer (WIT) def. Renya Demos (MILLS) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Joanna Gustafson/Sophie Boyce (WIT) def. Jamie Quinn Harris/Rachel Quimby (MILLS) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Deborah Massaro/Jillian Flynn (WIT) def. Alice Hewitt/Casey Honath (MILLS) 8-6 (0-2)
3. Lana Ho/Virginia Ofer (WIT) def. Sarah Knight/Noelani Meteyry (MILLS) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,3,1,5,6)
Official: (Self-Officiated) T-3:30 A-125